Follow the procedure below to setup Netscape Messenger 4.x (part of Netscape Communicator) for use with your Smart Solutions email account. The only information you need to know before starting the setup process, is your email address, and your password, which you should have received when you requested your account.
- Start Netscape Mail how you normally do. For example, by clicking on the icon on the desktop, in the Start Menu, or from the icons along the bottom of your screen.
- Choose "Preferences" from the Edit menu. Click here for a screenshot.
- If there is a "plus" symbol next to "Mail & Newsgroups", click it. Click here for a screenshot.
- Click the "Identity" option under the Mail & Newsgroups heading.
- Fill in your personal information here, such as your first and last name. Your email address should have been pre-assigned. Other fields besides Name and Email Address are optional.
- Now, choose the "Mail Servers" option from the left.
- Click the "Add" button in the top-right. Click here for a screenshot for the above two steps.
- Enter "mail.yourwebsite.net" for the Server Name. For example, if your website was www.website.net, the server name would be mail.website.net
- Choose "POP3" from the "Server Type" drop-down list.
- Your "user name" is simply your email address, which you should have been given at this point. Example, email@example.com.
- If have not yet changed your preassigned password, and would like to, you can follow the change password steps. Keep in mind that you may change the password after you complete the remainder of this process, if you would like.
- If you would like to have your password stored, so that it is not necessary to enter it when checking or sending mail, click the "Remember Password" box. If you do this, you will enter your password only the very first time that you check your mail. Click "OK".
- You should be back at the Mail Servers screen (the one you were at before you clicked "Add"). Enter "mail.yourdomain.com" for the "Outgoing mail (SMTP) server", and your email address for the username. Click here for a screenshot.
- Click "OK": Netscape Messenger is now properly configured for use with your new email address.
If you need further help or guidance, feel free to call us at 541-388-4398, or (if possible) email firstname.lastname@example.org.